ADS

None Of You Will Do Anything, Except Live The Life That Has Already Been Set Out For You.

If you've read a couple of my reviews, you can see that I usually have a built-in out. If I've watched something that I really enjoyed, you'll find that I'll mention something that'll explain why it might just be me. Very rarely, will I just flat out say (at least, seriously say), this movie is great. Drive [review] and The Fighter [review] are two examples that jump out at me. Otherwise, I try to temper my enthusiasm, so as not to look like a (gigantic) ass. I know, bitch move.

You'd never guess that this is a piece of science fiction, huh?
What's the point? Well, Tuesday night the wife and I settled in to watch 2010's Never Let Me Go. She was tired but I insisted that despite not knowing what it was about, that this is going to be good. Real good. My proof? Well, a friend of mine, known around here as Haspe (Hass-pee), totally and unflinchingly vouched for it. Who gives a shit? Hold on. This guy damn near hates everything. His film standards are absurdly high. What makes this even more odd, is that he was a guy I saw everything with as a kid. Everything. I mean, we saw Double Dragon theatrically. Hmm. Maybe that's part of it.

Anyway, I was completely underwhelmed by this movie. Sure, my inflated expectations had something to do with it, but I just couldn't believe this was the movie he vouched for. Really? It's so quiet, so slow - how could this stand out so much? I texted him about it, and he said this in regard to my what the f--k, man?

Haspe: Love. Love lost. Love cut short by circumstance.

This is a great scene.
And that was enough for me. Because it reminded me of why I love film so much in the first place. Often it's created for the largest of audiences, but each speaks to us in a different way. Sometimes, a flick comes along and simply grabs you. And when it does, it could be for a number of reasons. Maybe it reminds you of someone you have or even someone you've lost. Maybe it just made you feel better. And maybe, you don't even know why - you just can't help it. I mean, I liked The Lorax [review] simply because we finished it. And on any given day - these are all good reasons. Who gives a damn if someone else disagrees? We love what we love.

UPDATE: Well, thirteen hours have passed since I initially posted and I suppose I'll finish this review. The more I think about the film, the more I'm flip-flopping on my opinion of it. It's starting to get better. It's still very quiet, very slow, but the performances are resonating. Each of the three leads really deliver. I think it's easier to like Mulligan's performance because her character is so sweet and kind, but I'm going to go with Knightley's. She does the most-horrible-bitch-alive role quite well and her um, completion is pretty brutal.

On that note, here are the Yays and Boos, better late than never.

Now here I thought we were in for some craziness.
Yaaay!
  • Ms. Lucy's speech was pretty fantastic.
  • The idea that your art and poetry prove your love is very cool. But the real reason is a little more, um, serious.
  • I appreciate the how-to on looking at an adult magazine. Informative stuff, thank you.
It's not only his spider-sense that's tingling.
 Booooo!
  • More conflict, please.
  • Ruth, you bitch.
  • Extra years if you're in love! Yay! Oh, wait.
  • I swore that older guy was Ron Weasley. Damn you, diminishing eyesight.
  • That I didn't cry at the end. I guess I'm soulless.
Wow. You made it to the end. I owe you a dollar. Or a hug. I'm not sure. I've rambled endlessly, and basically taken both sides. Oh, and I barely discussed the actual movie.  Just remember how much this cost you and you'll feel better. I know I do.

Subscribe to receive free email updates:

ADS